BELMONT, N.C. -- Seniors Mackenzie Chrapliwy and Andie Meredith each reached double figures in kills, but Emmanuel posted three late rallies to defeat Belmont Abbey 3-1 (18-25, 25-22, 26-24, 26-24) in Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball semifinals Saturday night at the Wheeler Center. The Crusaders finish the season at 20-13, while Emmanuel (19-12) advances to face King in tomorrow's championship. The Tornado defeated Limestone 3-0 in the first semifinal.
Chrapliwy tallied 12 kills, while Meredith added 10 over a .179 hitting percentage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Cassidy Bonito was credited with 40 assists, five kills and five digs.
- Four players reached double figures in digs -- Hailey Ryan with 15, Paige Rawlins with 14, Caitlyn Faber with 13 and Chrapliwy with 11.
- The double-double was the 12th of the season for Chrapliwy.
- Belmont Abbey stormed out to a 9-2 lead in the first set, en route to a 25-18 victory.
- In the second, the Crusaders used a 4-0 run to break a 7-7 tie and later led 22-17 before the Lions evened the match with eight straight points.
- The third set also favored The Abbey with the hosts leading 22-17 and 23-20. Emmanuel tallied back-to-back points, but an attack error handed the Crusaders two set points. The Lions rattled off four straight points to grab a two sets to one lead, 26-24.
- The fourth set featured 13 ties and eight lead changes. The Abbey broke a 22-22 tie on two attack errors, but Emmanuel against saved two set points with another 4-0 run to clinch the victory.
- Emmanuel outhit BAC .141 to .114. The Crusaders had a 7-3 lead in service aces, while the Lions registered 15.5 blocks to Belmont Abbey's 7.5.