BELMONT, N.C. -- Cassidy Bonito and Mackenzie Chrapliwy registered double-doubles in both matches, lifting Belmont Abbey to a non-conference sweep of Lander and Winston-Salem State Saturday at the Wheeler Center. The Crusaders rallied for a 3-2 (16-25, 25-20, 20-25, 25-19, 16-14) victory over the Bearcats before taking a 3-1 (27-25, 25-21, 23-25, 25-17) triumph over the Rams in the nightcap.
The Crusaders have now won three straight matches, all at home.
- Chrapliwy tallied 15 kills and 12 digs, while Bonito added 45 assists and 11 digs. The senior setter also had seven kills.
- Andie Meredith reached double figures with 10 kills.
- Paige Rawlins and Hailey Ryan led the defensive effort with 20 and 18 digs, respectively.
- Lanie Healey and Carie Jane Valentine each had eight kills.
- Belmont Abbey outhit Lander .178 to .161.
- After falling behind two sets to one, The Abbey trailed 17-15, but rallied with three straight points for the lead. Lander evened the set at 18-18 but another 3-0 run started a 7-1 spurt that forced a deciding set.
- The Crusaders broke a 4-4 tie with three in a row and led all the way until the Bearcats tied the score at 14-14. However, a kill by Bonito set up match point with an attack error ending the contest.
- Chrapliwy had 13 kills and 18 digs with Bonito chipping in 43 assists and 11 digs
- Ryan fell just short of a double-double with 11 kills and nine digs.
- Rawlins totalled 13 digs.
- Belmont Abbey plays two more matches on Tuesday at Wingate.
- The Crusaders meet UNC-Pembroke at 4:30 before facing the hosts at 7.