FRANKIN SPRINGS, Ga. -- In a battle of the top two volleyball teams in Conference Carolinas this year, North Division champion Belmont Abbey fell just short of South Division champion Emmanuel, 3-1 (25-16, 25-23, 16-25, 25-20) in the league's tournament final.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mackenzie Chrapliwy led the offensive attack with 16 kills, while Andie Meredith also reached double figures with 13.
- Cassidy Bonito registered her 13th double-double of the season, gaining 35 assists and 12 digs.
- Sarah Kenney was credited with 13 digs.
- Similar to Saturday's semifinal, the Crusaders dropped the first two sets, before rallying.
- In the third set, Belmont Abbey opened on an 8-3 run. Later, with the score 14-11, the Crusaders scored three straight points, then answered back-to-back point with five in a row. The Abbey took the set 25-16.
- The fourth set was tied at 16-16 when the Lions tallied five straight to seize control and the championship.
- Leah Gunter and Bonito were named to the all-tournament team.
- The Crusaders finish the season with a 23-10 record, their highest win total since 2013.
- The Abbey dropped a contest for just the fourth time in the last 25 outings.
- Seven seniors concluded their careers with the loss.