BELMONT, N.C. -- Belmont Abbey dropped the first set, but finished strong to take a 3-1 (18-25, 25-20, 25-15, 25-17) victory over Southern Wesleyan Tuesday in the quarterfinal round of the 2018 Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Tournament. The Crusaders, holding the No. 1 North seed, advance to a semifinal matchup with No. 3 North King, on Saturday in Franklin Springs, Ga.
The Abbey improves to 22-9 overall with its 20th win in the last 23 outings. Southern Wesleyan finishes its campaign at 8-18.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mackenzie Chrapliwy tallied 18 kills against only three errors to hit. .300. Andie Meredith and Brianna Morgheim also reached double figures in kills with 14 and 13, respectively.
- Cassidy Bonito posted her 12th double-double of the season with 44 assists and 13 digs.
- Three other Crusaders reached double figures in digs -- Hailey Ryan and Sarah Kenney with 19 each and Leah Gunter with 14.
- Southern Wesleyan never trailed in the opening set, scoring the first three points en route to an early 7-2 lead. The Crusaders closed to within one, but later trailed 19-16 when the Warriors surged ahead with four straight points.
- SWU led again early in the second at 10-5, but a 7-0 run gave The Abbey its first lead. At 13-13, four straight points started a run that would lead to victory. The Warriors used a 5-0 run that cut the margin to 23-20, but kills by Meredith and Morgheim ended the threat.
- The third set was dominated by BAC. It broke a 2-2 tie with a 6-1 run and never trailed again. SWU got within 18-14, but the Crusaders scored seven of the next eight for a 2-1 advantage.
- Belmont Abbey started the fourth set with an 8-3 lead, but Southern Wesleyan answered to tie at 11-11. Back-to-back Abbey points created some space, then a five straight turned a 16-14 lead into a seven-point margin.
- Belmont Abbey travels to top-seeded and South Division winner Emmanuel this weekend for the semifinals and finals. The Crusaders take the court for the first semifinal on Saturday against King, a 3-2 upset winner over No. 2 South seed North Greenville, in Tigerville. The Crusaders swept the season series, winning 3-1 both times.
- The host Lions and No. 2 North seed Barton face off in the second semifinal with the winner meetings Sunday at 3 for the championship.