BELMONT, N.C. -- Ivorie Maltby turned in a complete-game effort and Claire Doyle registered five hits over both games of a doubleheader, helping Belmont Abbey to a split with USC-Aiken Thursday afternoon at Crusader Field. The Pacers won the opener 10-3 before the Crusaders rebounded for a 4-1 victory in the nightcap.
With the split, Belmont Abbey stands at 13-13, while USC-Aiken sits at 14-16.
- Doyle went 3-for-3 with a run in the contest, while Brianna Embler tallied two hits.
- Both teams reached double figures in hits with 10 each.
- With a 1-0 lead after three, USC-Aiken broke open the game with seven runs in the fourth.
- Belmont Abbey got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the fifth when Morgan Smith delivered a two-out run-scoring single to left.
- The Crusaders added two in the sixth on Peyton Whitley's team-leading eighth home run. Doyle, who singled to start the inning, also scored on the play.
- Annabeth Watkins (7-6) took the loss, while Hannah Price improved to 6-9 with the win.
- Doyle continued her hitting streak with a 2-for-3 effort. She also drove in a run.
- Embler and Melissa Neyhouse also tallied a pair of hits.
- went 3-for-3 with a run in the contest, while Brianna Embler tallied two hits.
- Maltby scattered 10 hits, allowing only a seventh-inning run. She walked three and struck out four, improving to 4-5 with the win.
- Belmont Abbey jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first when Embler singled with one out then stole second. She came home on a double to right field by Doyle.
- An RBI groundout by Alexis Rogers doubled the lead to 2-0 in the second.
- The margin stayed that way until the sixth when The Abbey added some insurance. Whitley doubled with one out, then came home on Neyhouse's double one out later. After a wild pitch, Payton Wilson singled in Neyhouse.
- The Pacers tried to rally in the seventh with a run, but Maltby closed the door for the victory. She worked twice worked out of bases-loaded jams.
- USC-Aiken outhit the Crusaders 10-8, but left 13 runners on base.
- Belmont Abbey returns to Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when it hosts Southern Wesleyan.