FLORENCE, S.C. - Katie Allison had three hits and a run, and the Belmont Abbey softball team split a doubleheader with Francis Marion, losing the first contest 3-0, while taking the nightcap 2-1. The Abbey now stands at 12-12 on the season. The Patriots are now 18-11.
How it Happened
- The Crusaders managed to get five hits in Game 1, highlighted by a 2-for-3 performance by Allison
- Annabeth Watkins threw a complete game, giving up just five hits in six innings. She did not give up a run until the fifth inning
- In the nightcap, The Abbey offense came out swinging from the start. Allison singled to start the game, and scored on a single by Melissa Neyhouse
- Morgan Smith went on to double home Neyhouse
- Neyhouse got another hit in the fifth, to put two runners on. The Crusaders, however, came up just short of scoring
- Ivorie Maltby did not give up a Patriot hit until there were two outs in the third. She threw a complete game, giving up just one run, none earned
- The game was called before the bottom of the seventh inning started, due to rain
Belmont Abbey will welcome USC Aiken to Crusader Field tomorrow for a doubleheader that will begin at 2 p.m.