Posted: Mar 02, 2019
BELMONT, N.C. -- Melissa Neyhouse registered five hits, driving in four runs and scoring four times, leading Belmont Abbey to a doubleheader sweep of Elizabeth City State, 16-0 and 8-0, in softball action Saturday afternoon.
- Doyle was 3-for-4 in the contest with four RBIs.Neyhouse went 2-for-3 with three RBIs and three runs scored. She had a two-run single in the first, an RBI double in the second and drove in a run with a single in the fourth.
- Neyhouse and Embler each went 2-for-3 and scored three times in the opener with Neyhouse driving in three.
- Five other Crusaders tallied hits in the contest.
- The Abbey plated 10 runs in the first and four more in the second for a 14-0 lead. The final two runs came in the bottom of the fourth.
- Annabeth Watkins (5-3) picked up the win, allowing one hit and two walks over three innings. She struck out five. Ivorie Maltby finished the five-inning contest, striking out three while allowing two hits in her two innings.
- Cheyan Brasseur (0-1) took the loss for the Vikings, allowing seven runs against just one out.
- Newyhouse added three hits in three at-bats, while scoring once and driving in one.
- Embler, Payton Whitley and Alexis Rogers each registered a pair of hits.
- Jordanna Shorts (1-1) earned her first collegiate win, scattering three hits in a complete-game effort. She struck out seven and walked two. Sara Phillips (0-3) took the loss for Elizabeth City State (0-5).
- Belmont Abbey (8-6) continues its homestand on Wednesday when it begins Conference Carolinas play. The Crusaders host Converse in a 1 p.m. doubleheader.