BELMONT, N.C. -- Junior Liam Maxwell became just the second player in Belmont Abbey history to reach 1,000 career kills, but NJIT posted a 3-0 (25-12, 25-17, 25-21) victory over the Crusaders in men's volleyball action Monday afternoon.
Maxwell had a team-high 10 kills against the Highlanders (7-12), giving him 1,006 in two-plus seasons. Only current head coach Nolan Albrecht (1185 from 2013-16) has more.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brennan Davis tallied 16 assists, one ace and one dig.
- NJIT outhit the Crusaders .413 to .086.
- The Highlanders opened the match with four straight points, slowly building to a 25-12 victory.
- The Abbey gained its first lead at 2-1 in the second, but NJIT scored back-to-back points, then broke a 4-4 tie with another two points. The final six points of the set went to the visitors.
- Belmont Abbey (9-8) held a 13-9 advantage in the third, but four of the next five points saw the gap cut to one. The teams were tied at 15 when the Crusaders ran off four straight, but NJIT rebounded with 10 of the next 12 points to take the win.
- Belmont Abbey has a quick turnaround, hosting Lees-McRae tomorrow night at 7. The match will be the Crusaders fifth in nine days.
- BAC already a win over the Bobcats this year. It took a 3-2 decision in Banner Elk back on Jan. 30.