BELMONT, N.C. -- Liam Maxwell and Andrew Kohut each reached double figures in kills, leading Belmont Abbey to a 3-0 (27-25, 25-23, 25-23) victory over Queens in non-conference men's volleyball action on Friday night. Brennan Davis posted a double-double of 39 assists and 11 digs.
With their second straight win, the Crusaders improve to 4-2 overall, while Queens falls to 2-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maxwell tallied 17 kills against just two errors to hit .405 in the contest, while Kohut hit .667 on 12 kills and no errors.
- The double-double was the second of the season for Davis, which both coming in the last three contests.
- Belmont Abbey outhit its cross-town rivals .284 to .195.
- In the opening set, Queens rallied from an early deficit, and later gained a set point at 24-23. After a second set point at 25-24, The Abbey tallied three straight points for the win.
- Belmont Abbey led 22-16 in the second before the Royals scored five straight to trail by one. A timeout by the Crusaders settled things down as the teams traded the next six points, giving The Abbey a 25-23 victory.
- The final set started with a 9-8 Belmont Abbey lead before a 7-2 run pushed the margin to six, 16-10.
- Queens closed to 22-21 on a service error, but Davis and Kohut had kills to set up triple match point. The Royals saved two, but then had a service error to end the match.
- Belmont Abbey returns to action on Tuesday with a trip to Limestone.