BELMONT, N.C. - Liam Osborne scored seven goals to lead a group of 11 seniors as the Belmont Abbey Men's Lacrosse team earned a 31-8 victory over Chowan University this afternoon. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 11-1 on the year, including 4-0 in conference play, and clinch a spot in the Conference Carolinas tournament. The Hawks dipped to 1-11 overall and 0-5 in Conference Carolinas play.
How it Happened
- Jack Piggott put the Crusaders on the board just 48 seconds into the game. Osborne was next, with a score at the 12:06 mark. Then Zach Stephenson won the ensuing faceoff, and found Noah Haas for a goal just six seconds after Osborne's to put The Abbey on top 3-0
- Later in the quarter, Osborne found James Booth for a goal at the 9:55 mark, and Sean Hanrahan with 5:20 to play before scoring a goal of his own at the 3:25 mark
- Haas capped off the quarter with a score with 12 seconds to play, and Belmont Abbey led 11-1 at the close of the first quarter
- Osborne needed less than two minutes into the second quarter to score two goals
- James Booth and Patrick Bagatta scored 13 seconds apart from each other to give The Abbey a solid 15-1 lead
- With 2:40 to play, Thomas Farrell tallied his first goal of the season. Jack Diebolt closed out the period with a score with seven seconds to play, and the Crusaders held a commanding 20-1 halftime lead
- In the third, it was Farrell getting the Crusader scoring started. The Crusader defense did not give up its second goal of the game until the 9:25 mark. Brett Oor found Ben Utrosa with 53 seconds remaining to give BAC a 27-3 lead heading into the final period
- Haas set up Zach Hahn for a man-up goal just 42 seconds into the fourth. The Abbey scored on goals by Andrew Meyer, Luke Spanier, and Brent Zimmerman to wrap up the 31-8 victory
- On the day, Osborne was the Crusaders' offensive leader with seven goals and two assists
- Brady Smith won 15 of his 19 faceoffs and picked up a game-high seven ground balls
- As a team, Belmont Abbey outshot Chowan 77-26, picked up 59 ground balls to the Hawks' 22, and won 33 faceoffs to Chowan's nine
Belmont Abbey will visit Limestone on Wednesday, April 10 for a 7 p.m. contest.