SAVANNAH, Ga. - Liam Osborne scored seven goals as the Belmont Abbey men's lacrosse team earned a 13-9 victory over the nationally #6-ranked University of Tampa this afternoon. The game was played at Daffin Park in Savannah, Ga. It is The Abbey's fifth season-opening victory in a row.
How it Happened
- Osborne scored the first Crusader goal of the season on a man-up opportunity at the 8:37 mark of the first quarter for a 1-0 Abbey lead. He scored again with 10 seconds left in the quarter, and the teams were tied at two at the end of the period
- The Spartans scored a goal early in the second, but The Abbey defensive unit held Tampa scoreless for the next 10 minutes. A Collin Grippo goal with 1:17 left in the period pulled the Crusaders to within a goal at 5-4 at halftime
- Two goals by Tampa early in the third gave the Spartans a 7-4 advantage. Osborne, however, scored two goals in 34 seconds to lower the margin to 7-6. Less than two minutes later, at the 6:49 mark, Grippo tied the game at seven
- Tampa led 9-7 heading into the final period
- After a Tampa turnover early in the fourth, Sean Hanrahan only needed 52 seconds to make it a 9-8 game before Grippo tied the contest at nine off a pass from Osborne
- With 8:42 left in the contest, Vinny Vultaggio found the back of the net to score the game-winning goal for The Abbey. With less than a minute to go, Osborne capped off the game with a score, and Belmont Abbey took the 13-9 win
- Osborne finished the day with seven goals on 13 shots. Grippo scored three times
- On the defensive side, Jack Diebolt caused three turnovers, a game-high. Bryce Gifford, making his first career start in goal, made 18 saves
Belmont Abbey will go to Catawba College on Saturday, February 9 for a 1 p.m. contest.