WINGATE, N.C. -- Four Belmont Abbey Crusaders topped double figures, but a hot-shooting Wingate club posted a 104-87 home victory Friday night in the Tip-off Challenge. The differed was a 19-of-38 shooting effort for the Bulldogs, while The Abbey hit just seven of 23 from beyond the arc.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dequan Abrom led the way with 16 points, while John Bowen and LJ McCoy each added 13 points. Sophomore transfer Romeao Ferguson tallied 11 points in his debut with the Crusaders. Marco Haskins of Wingate led all scorers with 22 points.
- Freshman Brayden Gault grabbed a team-high eight rebounds for the Crusaders.
- Wingate seized control with an 11-0 run midway through the first half, turning an 18-15 advantage into 29-15.
- Belmont Abbey closed the gap to eight, 43-35 just before halftime, but a trey just before break pushed the lead back into double digits for good.
- Belmont Abbey continues play in the Challenge when it faces Mars Hill tomorrow at 5 p.m. in Wingate. The Lions dropped a 92-88 overtime decision to Limestone on Friday night.