BELMONT, N.C. -- Paige Hinds recorded her fourth career shutout and Lauren Delisi and Angelina Perrone each found the cage, lifting Belmont Abbey to a 2-0 victory over cross-town rival Queens Thursday afternoon at Alumni Field. The matchup was the South Atlantic Conference Carolinas opener for both teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Delisi opened the scoring with her second goal of the season, poking in a loose ball 5:54 into the second quarter. The goal came at the tail end of a penalty corner that Delisi started.
- Perrone doubled the lead with 2:47 remaining in the third. She took a pass from Maddie Mitchell at the left side of the circle and fired it through the Queens goalkeeper.
- Hinds, who extended her own career shutout record, tallied five saves, including three in the fourth quarter.
- Belmont Abbey outshot Queens 14-6 and had a 10-6 advantage in penalty corners.
- Six different Crusaders registered shots Camrynn Aiello and Bizzy Baumeier each recording a pair.
- The Abbey improves to 2-1, 1-0, while Queens falls to 1-2, 0-1.
- Belmont Abbey continues its three-game homestand with another conference game on Saturday.
- The Crusaders host Coker at 1 p.m. at Alumni Field.