BELMONT, N.C. -- Carie Jane Valentine tallied 11 kills and Cassidy Bonito registered 39 assists, leading Belmont Abbey to a 3-0 (25-19, 25-15, 25-18) Conference Carolinas victory over Mount Olive Saturday afternoon at the Wheeler Center. The victory improved the Crusaders to 6-7 overall and 1-1 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Belmont Abbey ended the first set on an 8-3 run after holding a slim 17-16 lead. The Crusaders came out of a timeout with back-to-back kills by Lydia Sale, then answered a Trojan point with kills by Sale and Valentine for a 21-18 margin.
- In the second set, The Abbey opened an early 10-4 advantage before seeing the Trojans close the gap to 19-15. However, the Crusaders ended the set with final six points for the 25-15 victory.
- The final set opened with five straight points by Belmont Abbey, but UMO rallied to within 7-5. The Crusaders answered with eight of the next 10 points and never looked back.
- BAC outhit Mount Olive .214 to .082. Sale and Andie Meredith each finished with seven kills.
- Sarah Kenney finished with 14 digs with Hailey Ryan adding eight.
- Belmont Abbey wraps up its homestand with a match against King on Tuesday night.