WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Brianna Morgheim and Mackenzie Chrapliwy topped double figures in kills, leading Belmont Abbey to a 3-0 (25-12, 25-12, 25-18) victory over Winston Salem State Tuesday night. The Crusaders hit a season-best .425 in winning their third straight match.
SETTING THE SCENE
- The teams were facing off for the second time this season. Belmont Abbey defeated WSSU 3-1 in the season opener, played as part of a tri-match at Wingate
- The match was the first in 10 days for the Crusaders, who had two matches postponed by Hurricane Florence.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Morgheim tallied 12 kills against only two errors for a .556 percentage, while Chrapliwy added 10 kills and a .320 percentage.
- Cassidy Bonito registered 24 kills, while Sarah Kenney was credited with 12 digs.
- In the opening set, Belmont Abbey broke open a 9-8 score with 10 straight points.
- The Abbey trailed 4-2 in the second set before rattling off nine points in a row.
- Another big run lifted the Crusaders to the victory in the third. They trailed 17-15 when Hailey Ryan served seven straight points after a Lydia Sale kill.
- After 11 straight matches away from home to start the year, Belmont Abbey opens its 2018 home and Conference Carolinas schedules on Friday against Barton/