Sep 08, 2018
JACKSON, Tenn. -- Belmont Abbey swept two matches Saturday at the Union Volleyball Classic, topping LeMoyne-Owen 3-0 (25-17, 25-9, 28-26) and host Union 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-22).
- A season-high 16 players saw action in the contest.
- Belmont Abbey took the first set 25-17, using a 10-1 run to break open an 11-10 lead. The second set was close at 12-9 when Mackenzie Chrapliwy served 13 straight times to lift the Crusaders to the victory. Belmont Abbey outhit L-M .455 to -.083 in the second.
- With a younger lineup, Belmont Abbey took the third 28-26. LeMoyne-Owen held a 24-21 lead when the Crusaders rattled off four straight for a 25-24 lead. The Magicians saved that match point and another at 26-25, but an attack error and kill by Chrapliwy ended the match.
- Andie Meredith tallied a career-high 10 kills in the match, the only player to reach double figures.
- Cassidy Bonito posted 34 assists, while Sarah Kenney added 20 digs.
- Belmont Abbey held a .178 to .110 hitting percentage in the contest.
- A 6-0 run in the first set reversed a 12-9 deficit and spurred the Crusaders to the 25-20 win. In the second set, seven straight points broke a 17-17 tie and led to another 25-20 decision.
- The third set was close as the teams were tied at 17, 21 and 22. However, Chrapliwy tallied two late kills for the 25-22 finale.
- Chrapliwy tallied 10 kills and eight digs, while Lydia Sale added nine kills. Bonito added 28 assists, while Kenney again led the defensive charge with 12 digs.
- With the wins, Belmont Abbey improves to 4-6.
- Belmont Abbey travels to Pfeiffer Friday night.