JACKSON, Tenn. -- Belmont Abbey battled on the opening day of the Union Volleyball Classic, but dropped a pair of matches. The Crusaders fell 3-2 (20-25, 25-20, 17-25, 25-17, 15-7) to Henderson State in the first match before a 3-0 (25-19, 29-27, 25-15) setback to Christian Brothers later in the day.
- The teams split the first four sets in identical scores. The Abbey won the opener 25-17, pulling ahead with a 4-0 run to reverse a 17-16 deficit. After the Reddies won the second 25-17, the Crusaders went up 2-1 with a 25-17 victory.
- Henderson State won the fourth 25-17 before outlasting BAC in the fifth, 15-7. It closed the match on an 8-1 run after the Crusaders closed to within 7-6.
- Mackenzie Chrapliwy recorded a double-double of 18 kills and 10 digs, while Cassidy Bonito registered 50 assists.
- Three other players reached double figures in digs, led by Sarah Kenney with 25. Leah Gunter totalled 12, while Hailey Ryan added 10.
- After dropping the first set 25-19, Belmont Abbey tried to mount a comeback in the second. With the score 16-14, Christian Brothers scored five straight for a 21-14 lead, but the Crusaders answered. The team split two points, then The Abbey took the lead with an 8-0 run. Both teams had two set points before the Bucs broke a 27-27 tie with back-to-back kills.
- Chrapliwy tallied 13 kills and 13 digs, while Bonito added 21 assists.
- Belmont Abbey now stands 2-6 on the season.
- The Crusaders wrap up in-season tournament play tomorrow when they face LeMoyne-Owen and host Union on Saturday.