BELMONT, N.C. - Cassidy Calhoun scored the game-winning goal as the Belmont Abbey women's soccer team earned a 3-0 victory over Lees-McRae on Breast Cancer Awareness Day. With the win, The Abbey improves to 10-2 on the season, with a 6-2 record against Conference Carolinas opponents. The Bobcats dipped to 2-11 on the year, and 2-6 in conference play.
How it Happened
- The Crusaders got off to a strong start, getting two corner kicks in the opening two minutes of the game
- Belmont Abbey did a great job of keeping the ball in its offensive zone, which helped limit the Bobcats to one shot in the first half
- In the 33rd minute, Cassidy Calhoun scored her second goal of the season to give The Abbey a 1-0 lead at halftime.
- Belmont Abbey got two goals late in the match, as Mackenzie Lewis scored in the 74th minute
- Then, in the 86th, Morgan Farrar scored her first career goal to seal the 3-0 win for the Crusaders
- Belmont Abbey's defensive unit, led by Rachel Coutinho, gave up just two Bobcat shots in the match
- The Crusaders took 11 corner kicks on the game, to Lees-McRae's one
Belmont Abbey will head to Emmanuel College on Tuesday, October 16 for a 7 p.m. contest.