WILSON, N.C. - Mackenzie Lewis scored 1:48 into the extra period, and the Crusader women's soccer team walked off with 2-1 OT win at conference opponent Barton this evening. The victory puts The Abbey at 8-1 this season, including a 4-1 conference record. Barton now stands at 5-4 overall, and 1-3 in Conference Carolinas play.
How it Happened
- Barton came out shooting early, but it was no problem for goalkeeper Caroline Lauer, who made four saves in the opening 15 minutes
- Barton, in the 39th minute, was the first team to score in the contest, and led 1-0 at halftime
- The Crusaders, however, shutout the Bulldogs the rest of the match, and proceeded to outshoot Barton 15-4 in the second half
- Morgan Patton tied the match at one in 56th minute
- Lewis scored her first goal of the season from about six yards out and 1:48 into the overtime period to clinch the Abbey victory
- Belmont Abbey outshot Barton 28-11 on the night, and took 9 corner kicks to Barton's zero
- Lauryn Harding got her first win of the season
Belmont Abbey will travel to Erskine on Saturday for a 5 p.m. contest.