ELON, N.C. - Sophomore Allie Downing scored 20 points in today's exhibition contest at Elon University, but the Phoenix escaped with 58-54 win.
How it Happened
- Downing got the Abbey offense going early, while the defense did not give up an Elon field goal in the last five minutes of the opening quarter. The Crusaders led 13-12 at the end of the first period
- Three-point baskets by Hannah Roney and Downing early in the second put the Crusaders on top 19-14
- At halftime, the Crusaders held a 28-23 advantage
- Downing scored six more points in the third, while Keyanna Spivey added four, as the Crusaders continued to battle, though trailed by one at the end of the quarter
- Early in the fourth Manuela Fungate made a layup that would give The Abbey a 46-45 lead, but the Phoenix took the lead for good shortly after, as Elon finished the game with a 58-54 win
- Downing finsihed with 20 points, 13 rebounds, and four steals
- Fungate scored 12 points and pulled down 10 rebounds
Belmont Abbey will play one more exhibition contest on Tuesday, November 6, when it visits UNC Wilmington for a 7:30 p.m. tipoff.