WINGATE, N.C. - Claire Doyle went 3-for-5 at Wingate University this afternoon, upping her season average to .667, though the Crusaders lost both games by scores of 14-4 and 2-1. Both the Crusaders and the Bulldogs now stand at 2-2 on the season.
How it Happened
- Kelkcee Fulton got the scoring started for Belmont Abbey in the second, while pinch running for Doyle, who had just doubled
- In the third, Hunter Edstrom drew a walk to score Melissa Neyhouse. Later in the inning, Doyle hit a 2-RBI single to right center, making it a 7-4 Wingate lead
- The Bulldogs scored seven in the fourth to take the contest 14-7
- In Game two, the Crusaders struck first, as Morgan Smith hit a sacrifice fly to center field to score Brianna Embler in the top of the first inning
- Wingate tied the game in the bottom of the inning, and would not score on the Crusaders again until the sixth inning, which clinch the 2-1 win for the Bulldogs
- On the day, Doyle's 3-for-5, 2-RBI performance led The Abbey
- Annabeth Watkins threw a complete Game 2, tossing five strikeouts and giving up just one earned run
Belmont Abbey will head to Chowan University on Friday, February 9 for a doubleheader scheduled to begin at 12 p.m.