BELMONT, N.C. -- Liam Maxwell tallied a match-high 18 kills and hit .364, but Lourdes rallied for a 3-2 (22-25, 17-25, 25-17, 25-17, 15-10 victory over Belmont Abbey in men's volleyball action Monday night at the Wheeler Center. Maxwell was the only Crusader with double-figure kills for the Crusaders, while the Jeff Lam and Matheus Andrade each had 16 kills for the Gray Wolves.
The Abbey falls to 8-6 on the season with the decision, while Lourdes, ranked second nationally in the NAIA, improves to 14-2 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brennan Davis tallied 30 assists and had four digs, while Daniel Cerqua added seven digs.
- Belmont Abbey hit .111 in the contest, while Lourdes countered at .212. The Gray Wolves also held a 12.5 (2-21) to six (0-12) advantage on blocks.
- The Crusaders stormed out to a 2-0 lead by holding Lourdes to an .043 hitting percentage over the first two sets. They stretched a 15-13 to a seven-point margin with five straight points, but Lourdes answered with a 5-0 run of its own. With the score 24-22, Carter Eck ended the first set with a kill from Davis.
- In the second set, The Abbey broke a 14-14 tie with four points in a row, then extended the run to 10-1 for a 24-15 lead. The Wolves saved the first two set points, but Brian Long delivered to close out the second, 25-17.
- From there, Lourdes stormed back. It hit .389 in the third and .320 in the second to force a deciding set, in which it held a .375 to .048 advantage.
- In the final set, Belmont Abbey held a 5-4 advantage, but the Gray Wolves tallied back-to-back points to take the lead. After a Crusader point evened the score at 6-6, they used back-to-back points to take the lead and never trailed again. Later, four straight points later turned a 9-8 lead into 13-8 and helped secure the victory.
- Belmont Abbey continues a stretch of five games in nine games with a trip to crosstown rival Queens on Wednesday.
- The Crusaders return to conference action at King on Saturday before hosting back-to-back home matches next Monday and Tuesday.