BELMONT, N.C. -- Liam Maxwell posted 19 kills and a .410 hitting percentage and Brennan Davis tallied 36 assists, leading Belmont Abbey to a 3-1 (25-22, 19-25, 25-23, 25-19) win over St. Francis in men's volleyball action on Saturday night. The non-conference win improved the Crusaders record to 6-4 this season, while St. Francis drops to 5-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maxwell added seven digs and four block assists to his offensive numbers. He had just three errors against his 19 kills.
- Jake Somers came off the bench to registers eight kills without an error in nine attempts.
- Collin Lockwood led the defensive effort with 12 digs.
- Belmont Abbey took the first set after reversing a 5-3 deficit with three straight points. Trailing 7-6, the Crusaders scored three straight to start at 6-1 run and held the lead throughout. The hitting percentage for the set was .167 to .143 in favor of The Abbey.
- St. Francis set the pace in set No. 2 with a .370 hitting percentage, but from there on, it was all Belmont Abbey.
- The hosts hit .400 in the third and .476 in the fourth to take the victory.
- For the contest, Belmont Abbey combined to hit .286 while SFU turned in a .191 percentage.
- The NCAA sponsors a combined Collegiate division for men's volleyball, but the rest of the Red Flash athletic programs compete at Division I. They were coming off a win at No. 14 Ohio State earlier in the week and lost to Hawaii last night.
- Belmont Abbey resumes conference play next weekend with a trip to Erskine and Emmanuel.