SUMTER, S.C. - Senior James Delaney won his #1 singles match by a score of 6-2, 6-2, but the Crusaders lost the contest 5-1 to Chowan in the Conference Carolinas Championship. Belmont Abbey finishes the 2018 season with a 16-20 record.
Two of the doubles matches went into tiebreakers, but The Abbey just could not pull out a win, losing 3-0 in doubles play.
After the Hawks took the #5 singles match, Delaney got the Crusaders their only win of the day, with the 6-2, 6-2 victory. Though several Crusaders led in their individual matchups, a Chowan victory at #6 singles sealed the match for the Hawks.
George Barfoot finished the year with a team-high 12 wins in singles play, while Barfoot and Delaney earned a team-high 15 matches in doubles competition together.
Chowan 5, Belmont Abbey 1
1. James Delaney (BAC) def. Ghassan Alansi (CU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Zachary Blythe (BAC) vs. Adi Kaliakperov (CU) 7-6, unfinished
3. George Barfoot (BAC) vs. Mateusz Izycki (CU) 7-6, unfinished
4. Jose Disotuar (BAC) vs. Louis Proulx (CU) 6-0, 4-6, unfinished
5. Rafael Goncalves (CU) def. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Mariano Yeh (CU) def. Reinaldo Golindano (BAC) 7-6, 6-2
order of finish: 5, 1, 6
1. Ghassan Alansi / Mariano Yeh (CU) def. George Barfoot / James Delaney (BAC) 8-7
2. Mateusz Izycki / Rafael Goncalves (CU) def. Zachary Blythe / Henrique Leal (BAC) 8-0
3. Adi Kaliakperov / Louis Proulx (CU) def. Andres Astudillo / Jose Disotuar (BAC) 8-7
order of finish: 2, 3, 1