BELMONT, N.C. - George Barfoot made a late third-set comeback, and the Belmont Abbey men's tennis team knocked off #27-ranked Mount Olive this afternoon on Senior Day. The win puts The Abbey at 12-17 this season, with a 5-1 conference mark. The Trojans are now 9-4 overall, and 5-1 in conference matches.
In singles play, three of The Abbey's four win came in the third set. At #2, Blythe came back from down 3-4 in the third set to win his match 6-0, 5-7, 6-4. His win tied the match at four. Then at #3, Barfoot trailed 2-5 in the third set before reeling off five straight games to win 6-2, 3-6, 7-5. His win clinched the match for the Crusaders.
Belmont Abbey will visit North Greenville University on Friday, April 6.
Belmont Abbey 5, Mount Olive 4
1. Armando Ferreira (UMO) def. James Delaney (BAC) 1-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Martin Moser (UMO) 6-0, 5-7, 6-4
3. George Barfoot (BAC) def. Jose Cortijos Planas (UMO) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
4. Jose Disotuar (BAC) def. Jack Middleton (UMO) 6-3, 7-5
5. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) def. Pablo Safont Ferrer (UMO) 7-5, 4-6, 6-1
6. Sherzod Akramov (UMO) def. Austin Schepel (BAC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Armando Ferreira / Jack Middleton (UMO) def. George Barfoot / James Delaney (BAC) 8-6
2. Zachary Blythe / Henrique Leal (BAC) def. Jose Cortijos Planas / Martin Moser (UMO) 8-3
3. Juan Arbelaez / Pablo Safont Ferrer (UMO) def. Jose Disotuar / Reinaldo Golindano (BAC) 8-6