BELMONT, N.C. - The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team earned a pair of 9-0 sweeps, over Johnson C. Smith and Lees-McRae, this afternoon. The Crusaders now stand at 10-15 on the year and 3-0 in Conference Carolinas play. Johnson C. Smith is now 2-12-1, while Lees-McRae moves to 0-7 overall and 0-3 against Conference Carolinas opponents. It was the third shutout in a row by the Crusaders. The Abbey has also earned shutouts in all three of its conference matches so far.
Against the Bobcats, Zachary Blythe and Henrique Leal highlighted doubles play with an 8-2 win at #2. George Barfoot and James Delaney, with an 8-4, win, are now 10-2 together at #1 doubles. In singles play, Barfoot played at #2 singles, and earned a 6-0, 6-1 win. Zachary Blythe got a 6-1, 6-0 win at #3.
No player from either opponent scored more than three points in a set against the Crusaders.
Belmont Abbey will visit Newberry College on Monday, March 19 for a 4 p.m. match.
Belmont Abbey 9, Johnson C. Smith 0
1. Jacob Andress (BAC) def. Desire Johnson (JCSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Thomas Rowzie (BAC) def. Cameron Hyman (JCSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Isaiah Cole (BAC) def. Gerald Miller (JCSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Mike Nguyen (BAC) def. Anthony Jefferson (JCSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Adam Nesnow (BAC) won by forfeit
6. Louis Lockwood (BAC) won by forfeit
1. Andres Astudillo / Daniel Astudillo (BAC) def. Cameron Hyman / Desire Johnson (JCSU) 8-2
2. Adam Nesnow / Thomas Rowzie (BAC) def. Anthony Jefferson / Gerald Miller (JCSU) 8-0
3. Emmanuel Naranjo / Mike Nguyen (BAC) won by forfeit
Belmont Abbey 9, Lees-McRae 0
1. James Delaney (BAC) def. Gabriel Muniz (LMC) 6-0, 6-3
2. George Barfoot (BAC) def. Sebastian Zuhr (LMC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Matt Meluch (LMC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Austin Schepel (BAC) def. Rusty Batten (LMC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Andres Astudillo (BAC) def. Brandon Caldwell (LMC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Chip Moore (BAC) def. Colton Porter (LMC) 6-0, 6-2
1. George Barfoot / James Delaney (BAC) def. Gabriel Muniz / Sebastian Zuhr (LMC) 8-4
2. Zachary Blythe / Henrique Leal (BAC) def. Rusty Batten / Matt Meluch (LMC) 8-2
3. Tomas Pardo / Michal Rapsik (BAC) def. Brandon Caldwell / Colton Porter (LMC) 8-3