BELMONT, N.C. - The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team came down to the final match against West Virginia Wesleyan this afternoon, but the Crusaders lost the contest 5-4. Further, the #6 singles match came took a full third set to be decided. The Abbey now stands at 4-11 on the season. The Bobcats, ranked #2 in the Atlantic region, are now 3-1.
Belmont Abbey began the day taking two doubles matches. George Barfoot and James Delaney earned an 8-4 win at #1 doubles, while Zachary Blythe and Henrique Leal paired up for an 8-3 victory at #2 doubles.
Delaney highlighted singles with a 7-6, 7-6 win at #1.
Belmont Abbey will begin conference play when it welcomes Erskine College on Thursday, March 8 for a 2 p.m. contest.
West Virginia Wesleyan 5, Belmont Abbey 4
1. James Delaney (BAC) def. Lukas Laipold (WVWC) 7-6, 7-6
2. Maycon Diaz (WVWC) def. Zachary Blythe (BAC) 6-1, 7-6
3. Ramon Rodriguez (WVWC) def. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) 7-6, 6-3
4. Jose Disotuar (BAC) def. Harry Simaioforidis (WVWC) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
5. Yonas Gebre (WVWC) def. Austin Schepel (BAC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Alexander Lyudinovskiy (WVWC) def. Jacob Andress (BAC) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6
1. George Barfoot / James Delaney (BAC) def. Maycon Diaz / Yonas Gebre (WVWC) 8-4
2. Zachary Blythe / Henrique Leal (BAC) def. Ramon Rodriguez / Harry Simaioforidis (WVWC) 8-3
3. Lukas Laipold / Thomas McIntosh (WVWC) def. Andres Astudillo / Daniel Astudillo (BAC) 8-3