BELMONT, N.C. - The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team got a 5-4 victory over Barton this afternoon at the Reidy Tennis Center. The win puts the Abbey at 15-9 on the year and 6-0 against Conference Carolinas opponents. The Bulldogs moved to 9-5 overall and 5-2 in conference play.
George Barfoot and James Delaney got the lone doubles win for the Abbey, which they won 8-6. Then the Crusaders took four of the six singles matches, highlighted by freshman George Barfoot's 6-4, 6-1 victory at #4 singles. Freshman Zachary Blythe was also impressive, as he earned a 6-3, 6-3 win at #5 singles.
1. Jake McCartney (BC) def. Juan Baez (BAC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Julian Bosch (BC) def. Grant Goldin (BAC) 6-3, 6-4
3. James Delaney (BAC) def. Yaxi Pintado (BC) 7-5, 6-1
4. George Barfoot (BAC) def. Ermanno Galimberti (BC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Jesus Gil (BC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) def. Alexandre Alves (BC) 4-6, 7-5, 3-0
1. George Barfoot/James Delaney (BAC) def. Julian Bosch/Jesus Gil (BC) 8-6
2. Jake McCartney/Yaxi Pintado (BC) def. Zachary Blythe/Grant Goldin (BAC) 8-3
3. Ermanno Galimberti/Rory Gaydon (BC) def. Jacob Andress/Michal Rapsik (BAC) 8-6
Head Coach Michael Salomon commented on today's match: "Today was a tough one for both teams. Barton's player had seven match points up 6-4, 5-1 at #6 singles in the clinching match, but Carlos was able to battle back and dig deep to take the second set 7-5, and win in the third set due to an illness retirement after being up 3-0."
"Barton played their hearts out today, and I think today they may have been the better team. However, we dug a little bit deeper and got some lucky breaks that we took advantage of. I'm really hoping our guys can learn from this and will push harder as we look towards the second half of our conference season."
Belmont Abbey will be back for more action on Friday at 2 p.m. That will be the team's RaisetheRed match.