The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team earned a split this afternoon as it won 6-3 at conference opponent Emmanuel (GA), then lost an 8-1 contest at Lander. The Abbey now stands at 13-9 on the year and 4-0 in conference play. Emmanuel moves to 4-15 this season and 1-5 in Conference Carolinas play. Lander is now 9-2 for the year.
In the morning match at Emmanuel, Juan Baez and James Delany got the Crusaders off to a good start as they won their #1 doubles match 8-5.
Trailing 2-1 after doubles play, the Crusaders stepped up in singles play. Freshmen George Barfoot and Zach Blythe both recorded 6-3, 6-1 wins in their singles matches. Then Grant Goldin fought back from losing his first set at #2 singles to force a tiebreaker, which he then won 6-0.
Belmont Abbey won five of the six singles matches.
1. Juan Carlos Romero (EMM) def. Juan Baez (BAC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
2. Grant Goldin (BAC) def. Jorge Canadas (EMM) 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
3. James Delaney (BAC) def. Enrique Alcacer (EMM) 6-1, 6-0
4. George Barfoot (BAC) def. Braden Anglin (EMM) 6-3, 6-1
5. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Guillaume Watteeuw (EMM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) def. Dustin Dodson (EMM) 6-3, 6-2
1. Juan Baez/James Delaney (BAC) def. Braden Anglin/David Forehand (EMM) 8-5
2. Enrique Alcacer/Juan Carlos Romero (EMM) def. Zachary Blythe/Grant Goldin (BAC) 8-5
3. Jorge Canadas/Guillaume Watteeuw (EMM) def. Jacob Andress/Michal Rapsik (BAC) 8-6
In the match against Lander, Zach Blythe defeated an opponent who was ranked as high as 14th in the country last year.
1. Jules Vauthier (LU) def. Juan Baez (BAC) 3-2, (retired)
2. Eirik Groner (LU) def. George Barfoot (BAC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Zach Blythe (BAC) def. Marc Hofer (LU) 6-2, 5-7 (10-8)
4. Alexandre Springer (LU) def. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Omar El-Moslemany (LU) def. Jacob Andress (BAC) 6-0, 7-6
6. Charles Baron (LU) def. Nikhil Reddy (BAC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Ozan Cildir/Jules Vauthier (LU) def. James Delaney/Grant Goldin (BAC) 8-2
2. Eirik Groner/David Korsten (LU) def. Jacob Andress/Michal Rapsik (BAC) 8-1
3. Paul Arslanian/Omar El-Moslemany (LU) def. Carlos Nolasco/Tomas Pardo (BAC) 8-2
Belmont Abbey will be back in action tomorrow, with a 12pm visit to Erskine.