BRISTOL, TN - The Belmont Abbey men's tennis team earned a 7-2 win this morning at King (TN). The win moves the Abbey to 11-6 on the season and 2-0 in conference play. The Tornado are now 3-5 overall and 1-3 against Conference Carolinas opponents.
Sophomore Grant Goldin won a tiebreaker at #2 singles with a 10-3 win in the final match. Freshman George Barfoot earned a fairly quick victory at the #4 spot with a 6-4, 6-2 win. Zachary Blythe chipped in with a solid 6-4, 6-4 win at #5 singles.
The Abbey was also strong in doubles competition as it won two of the three matches. Highlighting this performance was a 8-4 win at the #2 spot by Goldin and Blythe.
1. Moritz Poswiat (KING) def. Juan Baez (BAC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Grant Goldin (BAC) def. Lennard Neumann (KING) 6-2, 2-6, 10-3
3. James Delaney (BAC) def. Lenny Keswani (KING) 6-1, 7-6
4. George Barfoot (BAC) def. Alejandro Feliciano (KING) 6-4, 6-2
5. Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Arturo Alfaro (KING) 6-4, 6-4
6. Carlos Nolasco (BAC) def. Charles Jabaley (KING) 7-6, 6-4
1. Moritz Poswiat/Lennard (KING) def. Juan Baez/James Delaney (BAC) 8-3
2. Grant Goldin/Zachary Blythe (BAC) def. Alejandro Feliciano/Arturo Alfaro (KING) 8-4
3. Jacob Andress/Machal Rapsik (BAC) def. Charles Jabaley/Kyle Logue (KING) 8-7
Head Coach Michael Salomon offered some thoughts on the day's action: "I want to give King a lot of credit for their effort in the match. They fought hard and had we not pulled out the tie-breaker at #3 doubles, we might have a very different end result than we did today." Coach Salomon also stated "As a whole, we really dropped our intensity from where it was during the Spring Break trip. I think we let too many opportunities get by today without capitalizing and got a little bit lucky in a few of the tight matches we pulled out. I hope we can put forth a 100% effort tomorrow at Lees-McRae since they will be out to compete as hard as they can against us."
Belmont Abbey will take on Lees-McRae at 11am in Banner Elk, NC.