WINGATE, N.C. -- DeQuan Abrom and Romeao Ferguson each topped double figures and John Bowen grabbed 10 rebounds, leading Belmont Abbey to a 70-53 victory over Mars Hill Saturday night as part of the South Atlantic Conference-Conference Carolinas Tipoff Challenge. The win was the first of the season for the Crusaders, who improved to 1-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Abrom tallied 23 points, while Ferguson added 19. The duo combined for 13 of the Crusaders' 21 field goals and hit 14 of 15 free throws.
- John Bowen grabbed a career-high 10 rebounds, while Ben Ferguson added eight boards and nine points.
- Belmont Abbey limited the Lions to 30.8 percent shooting from the field and forced 17 turnovers. Conversely, the Crusaders hit 35.0 percent from the field, while hitting 92.0 percent (23 of 25) from the charity stripe.
- The Crusaders led 30-23 at halftime, then outscored the Lions 40-30 in the second half.
- Belmont Abbey plays its third straight road game to start the season when it travels to Coker for a 7 p.m. contest on Wednesday. The home opener is next Saturday at 6 p.m. against Piedmont International.