BELMONT, N.C. - Nicole Wong scored the first Belmont Abbey goal of the day, but the Crusader Field Hockey team was upended by Bellarmine 4-2 Saturday afternoon at Alumni Field. The non-conference setback puts The Abbey at 4-9 this season, while the Knights improve to 8-8.
While unable to mount a late comeback, the Crusaders received good news following the contest. Coker defeated Converse 5-0, securing for Belmont Abbey a South Atlantic Conference Carolinas Field Hockey League Tournament berth, a program first.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trailing 2-0, Wong found the back of the net late in the first half. Bellarmine led 3-1 at halftime.
- With just under 10 minutes remaining in the contest, Sophia Fuege scored off a pass from Emilie Devaux to make it 4-2.
- The Crusaders had four corner opportunities in the game.
- Paige Hinds made two saves in goal.
- Belmont Abbey will return to conference play on Tuesday when it welcomes Queens for a 3 p.m. contest.