RICHMOND, Va. -- Facing a team from the top field hockey conference in Division II, Belmont Abbey took an early lead, but surrendered a 2-1 decision against Slippery Rock Saturday afternoon. The neutral-site game against the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference opponent was played on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth.
How it Happened
- The teams played a scoreless first half, with Slippery Rock holding a slight 5-4 edge in shots.
- Junior Paige Hinds made one save in the opening period, while The Rock net-minder Maddie Murphy was credited with two saves.
- Freshman Camrynn Aiello tallied her first career goal to put the Crusaders up 1-0 with 24:15 remaining. She tapped in a cross from Sophia Fuege at the back post.
- Slippery Rock tied the game 12 minutes later on a penalty shot by Hannah Downing.
- The Rock tallied the game-winner with 7:46 to play.
- Slippery Rock finished the game with an 18-7 advantage in shots. Hinds finished with eight saves.
- Belmont Abbey fell to 1-1 on the season while Slippery Rock improves to 3-0
- The Crusaders return to action Friday against another PSAC opponent, Millersville. That matchup will be played at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va.